From: psyche-list-admin@redhat.com [mailto:psyche-list-admin@redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Banjo Donila
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 10:03 PM
To: Psyche Mailing List
Subject: Re: Version questions

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 00:44, Buck wrote:
> 	I am in the process of learning Red Hat Linux so I can avoid
> having to upgrade a Windows 2000 Pro computer to Windows 2000 Server
or
> Windows.NET server.  I am trying to get a head start and learn how to
> setup Linux as a server, primarily as a file server, but also as I go,
> learn more of the different server features.
>
> 	I noticed on the Red Hat site that I can download for free
> version 8.0, which I have done.  But there is also mention of Red Hat
> Advanced Server.  Is that the same set of discs with a different level
> of support? Or is that a different set of discs?  If it is a different
> set of discs, are they available for free download or discs only for a
> low price?  I don't know if I need them right away, but I would rather
> not have to upgrade later if I can set it up from the start and become
> more familiar with the product.
>
> 	Version 8.0 vs 7.2:
> 	I have the Red Hat Linux 7.2 Bible and Red Hat 8.0 discs.  Is
> 8.0 similar enough to 7.2 that I can use the older book with it or do
> need to buy another book?

      7.2 and 8.0 has a not so huge difference. But with the interface
yes it is different but often I prefer reading the redhat docs first
instead of buying some books though. The concepts are all the same, but
on redhat docs lacks further discussion of certain areas. But the docs
are from redhat and the precision is very much precise. Well, As i
walkthru the learning of the Linux. Ive started from Certs book (Linux+,
LPIC, SAIR and RHCE) which discusses really detailed areas which are
essential and not to mention its "Generic" typo. Which you may apply
from a debian based or a redhat based. Well, as we all know generic
items are very viable. You may able to apply numerous parms or method
from one distro to another. Remain "generic" but if you wish yo be more
specific read a book that pure to the distro that you wish