su Permission Problems

I have two systems running Redhat.  One is using 7.3 and the other 8.0.
On the 7.3 system when I as root do

su gerry

I end up with a prompt as user gerry.  However, when I do the same
thing on the 8.0 system I get the following

su gerry
/bin/bash: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied

but I still end up with a prompt as user gerry.  I assume the correct
behaviour is the 7.3 system version.  Does anyone know why the bash error
appears?  I tried using

su - gerry

and it works without errors.  I can't see anything obvious with
permissions on the /root/.bashrc file.  On both systems the file is
owned by root.root with permissions of 644.  I'm not sure where else to
look?

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer