Re: linux security/network issue....

On Saturday 18 January 2003 02:26 pm, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:30:00 -0800, Bruce Douglas wrote:
> > PS. I should add that it appears that no communication from the
> > external world is able to get to the Linux box, regardless of the
> > port.
>
> Show us more about your Linux box's network configuration, in
> particular the output of "netstat -nr" and "ifconfig -a".
>
> A common problem is a missing default route, so reply packets don't
> make it back to the router.
>
> > I'm able to look at the linux Apache server from other boxes within
> > my network, provided I use the internal (192.XX) address.
>
> However, you added that the Linux box doesn't see any redirected
> traffic on port 80 at all. Hence I wonder whether your router is
> configured correctly.

One issue is that he is using a Linksys router.  The Linksys will direct
a port to only one IP address.  All traffice, even local traffic goes
through the router.  If Linsys routes port 80 to 192.168.1.50 and he
tries to access the other Apache server on 192.168.1.60, he can't get
to it unless he specifically uses the IP address, or uses localhost fro
the console of the 2nd Apache server.

mw
--
Registered Linux - 256979