RE: linux security/network issue....

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 11:30, Bruce Douglas wrote:
> PS. I should add that it appears that no communication from the external
> world is able to get to the Linux box, regardless of the port.
>
> before i change the UseCanonicalName.. could you explain how this would
> affect the external user accessing the server. I can't quite see why this
> would make a difference....

I don't know that apache logs the HTTP redirect that it's going to
produce with UseCanonicalName set to "on".  Therefore it might seem like
it's not seeing any communication when it really is.

If you have tcpdump, ngrep, or ethereal installed on that server, you
can dump traffic to port 80 to see what's going on.

tcpdump is the least useful, but the most likely to be installed.  Try
this:
tcpdump port 80