Re: linux security/network issue....

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 11:57, Bruce Douglas wrote:
> hi...
>
> I have an issue that I believe points to Linux network security. I'm trying
> to set my network up to allow external users view my internal Apache server.
> My network setup is as follows:
>

> he Setup:
>
> 	+----------------+
> 	| External World |
> 	+----------------+
> 	         ^
> 	         |(12.222.33.11)
> 	+-----------------+
> 	| Firewall/Router | (198.222.33.1)
> 	|    (Linksys)    |<--------------+
> 	+-----------------+               |
>                                         | (Internal Network)
>                 +------------------------------------------+
>                 |                                          |
>                 |                                          |
>                 v                                          v
>            +--------------+                       +---------------+
>            |              |                       |               |
>            |  Linux Box   | (192.222.33.4)        | Windows 2K
> Box|(192.222.33.5)
>            |   (Apache)   |                       |    (Apache)   |
>            |              |                       |  (PuTTY)      |
>            +--------------+                       |               |
>                                                   +---------------+
>

> If I configure my router to do port forwarding with Port 80 pointing to the
> Windows Box with Apache, external users can view the server. If I change the
> router/port forwarding to point to the Linux Box/Apache server, the user is
> unable to access the Apache server. A quick review of the Apache log files
> does not reveal a hit to the server. This seems to indicate that the request
> from the external user didn't "get" to the Apache server.
>
> I'm begining to believe that the real issue has to do with how the Linux box
> is configured to accept/handle network communications. I'm able to look at
> the linux Apache server from other boxes within my network, provided I use
> the internal (192.XX) address. So the Apache server is working properly.
>
> So my question: How do I expand the IP addresses that are able to access the
> Linux Box? Or, might there perhaps be another problem? I'm realtively new to
> the world of Linux. I have RH 8.0 with the Gnome GUI. Pointers/assistance to
> whatever functions/commands would be appreciated!!

-----
Don't hijack other people's threads. Be courteous to people and learn to
type psyche-list@redhat.com as the mailto: address

Can you access the web server from the Win2K computer?
If not...
 - is httpd active? 'ps aux|grep httpd' to see if it's actually running
 - is firewall permitting access? if httpd is active then it must be a
firewall issue - temporarily test by 'service iptables off'

Craig