Re: lost in the pines

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:40:02 -0500, Justin F. Kuo wrote:

> >>   [root@mango temp]# rpm -qa | xargs -n 1 -t rpm -V &> rpm-Va.txt
> >>   [root@mango temp]# less rpm-Va.txt
> >>   rpm -V glibc-2.2.93-5
> >>   rpm -V gdbm-1.8.0-18
> >>   rpm -V libacl-2.0.11-2
> >>   rpm -V linc-0.5.2-2
> >>   xargs: rpm: terminated by signal 11
> >

> >According to your logs, you had a kernel panic with 2.4.18-14 on
> >January 5th and another one 20 minutes later. Any particular reason
> >for that?
>
> That may have been the time I thought the Linux box was frozen. It may
> have been running or completing up2date.

You misunderstood me. Kernel panic and a frozen box are unnormal
behaviour. A kernel panic should not happen at all and certainly not
when running up2date. If up2date stalls due to a problem in RPM 4.1,
that is something else.

> >I suspect your RAM chips may be bad or your system unstable. That
> >would explain the kernel panic and signal 11 upon running rpm,
> >unless RPM itself is damaged. You might want to try memtest86
> >from Google.
>
> The memtest86 is a very nice routine to have my toolbox. I copied it
> to a bootable CD and ran it for several hours (14 passes) on my Linux
> box. There were no memory errors found.

Which can still mean you have a hardware stability problem.
memtest86 is not perfect. It is not a substitute for a stress-test.

> Since my system was a mess, largely due to my inexperience with Linux,
> I re-installed the entire Red Hat 8.0 system. I will continue to
> monitor my system for disk errors any unusual glitches.

> ps. After the re-install I ran the rpm command suggested earlier:
>
>   [root@mango jkuo]# rpm -qa | xargs -n 1 -t rpm -V &> rpm-Va.txt
>   [root@mango jkuo]# ls
>   evolution  ks.cfg  mail  rpm-Va.txt  spool.txt
>   [root@mango jkuo]# ls -l
>   total 28
>   drwx------    5 jkuo     jkuo         4096 Jan 15 09:55 evolution
>   -rw-rw-r--    1 jkuo     jkuo          947 Jan 14 23:51 ks.cfg
>   drwx------    2 jkuo     jkuo         4096 Jan 17 13:07 mail
>   -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          150 Jan 17 15:36 rpm-Va.txt
>   -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        10483 Jan 17 14:47 spool.txt
>   [root@mango jkuo]# cat rpm-Va.txt
>   rpm -V bonobo-activation-devel-1.0.3-2
>   rpm -V lslk-1.29-6
>   rpm -V ORBit-devel-0.5.13-5
>   rpm -V emacspeak-16.0-2
>   xargs: rpm: terminated by signal 11
>
> Does that last line, "terminated by signal 11" indicate a problem?  --
> jfk

It is an invalid memory reference (aka segmentation fault), and most
often -- provided that the software is not faulty -- an indication
of a hardware stability problem such as an overclocked CPU, cheap
RAM chips, cheap mainboard. It should not happen. I assume this
slightly changed command-line

  rpm -qa | sort | xargs -n 1 -t rpm -V &> rpm-Va.txt

also terminates after running RPM on the fourth package. There is
really no reason why RPM would not be able to verify your packages
on a freshly installed machine.

Anything else that doesn't work for you? What about re-compiling
the kernel?

- --