Re: Virtualhosting SSL sites with Apache 2.0.40-11

On 17 Jan 2003, Mr. Adam ALLEN wrote:

> I'm experiencing problems with Apache, doing name based virtual hosting
> for SSL sites.

This is not possible....In fact, I just wrote about it.

"The HTTPS protocol requires that an SSL handshake occur as the very first
step. During the SSL handshake the web server sends the client it's
certificate. The certificate contains the FQDN of the web server. For
named-based virtual HTTPS hosting to work, the web server would have to
know which certificate to send to the client during the SSL handshake. The
server doesn't know this until the client sends the Host header --
transmitted after a successful SSL handshake. Therefore, virtual hosting
SSL sites requires the use of unique IP addresses for each site."

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs