Re: SCSI, RAID, and R.H. 8.x

Kim T. Richert wrote:

There are a couple of install issues that I need to resolve, and I am
having difficulty finding answers, so here I am again...
The first problem during installation, currently in dual boot mode, with
Adaptec SCSI cards (29160, and 2940UW- the people from whom these boxes
came did not understand the word RAID connected to the controller spec).

The o.s.'s install scripts, during initial install, looks for the
correct driver (aic7xxx), staying at this screen for some time,
eventually timing out. I have found the (appropriate? =>
aic7xxx-6.2.10-i686-rh80.img ) drivers and downloaded the images (it
doesn't appear I can use the RPM files with the install scripts).Upon
arriving at the "pick your card" screen, I place a floppy containing the
unzipped files (which expanded to:modinfo, modules.cgz, modules.dep,
pcitable, readme.txt, rhdd-6.1) into the drive, press F2 per the
instructions, and after spinning a bit, it returns to the previous
menu, with no additions or changes, and still no driver aic7xxx...
According to the tables, this driver would support both of the current
cards I have.
How can I get these into my installation? I cannot find any doc to this
problem, and have now spent enough time to have bought another computer.
Please enlighten me, oh wise ones!

Funny I've not had any trouble with the default 8.0 driver. There is an rpm for the driver:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASC-29160LP&filekey=aic7xxx-6.2.10-rh80.i686.rpm

You should be able to boot your system from the installer by typing "linux dd rescue"

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.