Re: Displaying Dates

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 11:59, Blaise Pascal wrote:
> Is there a way to change the way the date and/or time
> is displayed in the following places:
>
> (1) at the default logon screen? (I think the
> date/time is displayed like Thu Jan 16 12:00PM)
> (2) on the GNOME panel? (the date, when I point to the
> time, pops up as Thursday January 16)

As GNOME is somewhat US-centric, it defaults to US-style dates and
times, and I don't think it's very customizable.

The only option I'm aware of on the (GDM) login screen is to display
times in 24-hour format.  You can configure this using the GDM Setup
tool (Red Hat Menu->System Settings->Login Screen) by checking the
"Always use 24 hour clock format" option, or in the GDM configuration
file (/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf) by setting "Use24Clock" to true.

You can change the GNOME panel Clock applet's settings by secondary
clicking on it in the panel and selecting the Preferences... menu item.
Again, the only option visible is to toggle 24-hour time display.

If better internationalization is your aim, you might like to consider
using the KDE display manager (kdm) in place of the GNOME display
manager (gdm).

Hope this helps

--
Michael Wardle <michael.wardle@adacel.com>