RE: Email and printing

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:45:17 -0700, Lester Bauman wrote:

>>>3. Is there any way to get my Xp bootloader to load Linux?
>>
>>Probably, but that's not how I'd do it...
>>
>>1. Let grub replace the MBR on the boot disk (IMO this is easiest,
>>but
>>purists will argue it's the wrong way to do it)
>
>Would this mean reinstalling RH from scratch?

I am doing what you want to do.  You do not need to reinstall RH to
get the XP loader to load both Linux and XP. I do not have the exact
steps in front of me but I found them but doing a simple hunt with
http://www.google.com/   Look for:

"NT Loader" linux boot

Be sure to include the quotes around the NT Loader part.

Essentially,as long as you have a /boot mount in Linux, you should be
fine. While booted in Linux, I used this command to get the
bootsector from the /boot drive:

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/mnt/floppy/bootsect.lin bs=512 count=1

where /dev/hda2 was where my /boot was mounted and the /mnt/floppy
was the mount for my floppy drive. That gave me a floppy with the
bootsector for linux.  I booted XP.  I copied the bootsect.lin to
C:\.  Then you edit boot.ini and add a line at the bottom for Linux.
This is what my boot.ini looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Pro"
/fastdetect
C:\bootsect.lin = "Linux 8.0"

(there is some line wrapping there)
Good hunting,
dy

--
There are only 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and
those who don't.

http://www.yantis.org