Re: Hw RAID (Promise 20265 Fasttrak 100)

Charles A. Crayne wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:59:31 -0500
"JUSTIN GERRY" <JGERRY@butchers.com> wrote:

:Amazing; I received the COLDEST shoulder from Promise when I called
:them in the 2nd and 3rd week of November about drivers and support for
:a Fasttrack SX4000 and RedHat 8.0 (which they still don't support!!).

Perhaps the SX4000 is supported by a different group -- I don't know how else to explain it. All I can do is to confirm that, in my case, the FastTrack PDC202xx support team recompiled their proprietary module against the RedHat 8.0 libraries, and emailed it to me on Tuesday, November 16, 2002, which was less than 24 hours after I first contacted them.

-- Chuck

My experience with Promise Cards....

I attempted to use two Promise FastTrak cards last year in a single system to no avail... after contacting customer support I found that I would have to blow away the bios on one card (which voids the warranty) in order for the other card to be a master for both systems. The Promise technicians also stated that this was true if you have an onboard Promise controller and then try to plug in a pci promise card - Good Luck!!! I was rather frustrated as nowhere was it documented that you could only use a single card and was also having similiar difficulty in getting them to release drivers for Red Hat 7.3. They had 6.1/2 out there for download. In my case I was refused driver support at the time and told to wait till they were released (who knows when) or downgrade to Red Hat 6.1/2. There was some kernel support for the promise driver at the time but not for RAID 1+0 (only mirroring). I would have preferred to use something a little more tried and true especially given I wanted to use two cards in the same system. I stumbled across a post somewhere stating that 3Ware was selling RAID cards again so I decided to check them out. I found a good deal on the 3w7410 (4 channel) at www.hypermicro.com for $235 The drivers are fully open source and Red Hat will recognize the Card without having to load any additional driver(s), etc. The 3Ware cards also support multiple cards in a single system without any problems and come with either 2,4,8 or 12 channel support (some have serial ata).

Spend your money elsewhere and eventually they will get the point. Who wants to contact the vendor at every point release to get a new storage driver???

Matt. - FYI, I don't work for 3Ware