Re: Linux backup software

Hans Scheffers wrote:
Why not use tar ? it can write directly to tape, schedule  it with
crontab. They just have to change tapes every day, that's it

Most simple & cheap solution I think ;)

greetz
Hans
I agree. I am using tar and DLT tape drives on all my servers. Combined with a simple bash script and cron, it handles everything I need for backups.

The restores are the only place a customer may run into trouble. It's not hard, but you need to use st (for scsi tape drives) and tar from the command line to do restores.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+