Re: wvdial and mail access

What I have is a simple no-nonsense PPP connection
using an already configured external modem , with an already
configured 'chat' program. Basically I have a Windows LAN with
workstations that connect over a LAN to the Linux Server , and then
the Linux server uses an external modem attached to one of it's COMM
ports to dial-out to a Telephone number , with a username and password.
Once a successful connection has been made , all of the Windows users
have internet access.

All I need to do is change the telephone number and account information
that the Chat program uses to establish the dial-up connection , because
the ISP's have changed.  I just don't know where the 'Chat' program
keeps this information , and what I need to do once I have found this
file and changed all of the necessary details. The other thing I want to try
and do is to set up this machine to only dial the ISP on demand , and then
to drop the connection automatically when it sits idle for a certain amount
of time.

The reason I asked about the 'wvdial' is that it seemed easier to configure
,
in which case I would have rebuilt the configuration on the RH 7.2 server
from scratch , but the LATEST development is that I must use the Chat
program.
There is no wvdial installed , and I am not allowed to install new software.
The new ISP will redirect mail requests to the RH 7.2 server , so the only
thing
I need to worry about is how to change the Chat program's account info

Apologies for the confusion.