Re: Space

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 07:48, Ekow Oppon wrote:
> Had compaq Armada M700. Partitioned for Linux and Windows 98.
> Probably gave very little (over 2 GB or les) to the Win98.
> Chunk of the partition went to RH8.0. Unfortunately, Cannot
> run excel and MSWord/Powerpoint simultaneously because WIN98
> runs out of memory.
> The question is can I squueze some of the hard drive out of
> my RH partition so that I can re-install Win98 and get more
> memory. I have come too far to re-install RH8.0 again.

It depends on how your partitions are set up.  If your Linux partitions
are at the beginning of the drive, then you might be able to do so using
parted:
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/

You would have to resize/move the Linux partitions such that there was
more space for the fat32 partition, and then resize that partition into
the new space.

If your Linux partitions follow the fat32 partition, then you probably
can't do it without Partition Magic, which you probably need more space
on your fat32 drive to install.

It should take more than just Windows 98 and MS Office to fill 2 GB.  If
you're out of drive space (and thus, out of swap space) under Windows,
you probably should re-assess how you're using it, and how the
partitioning should be done.  If you have 2 GB of software on there, you
probably want another GB of space, at least.