Re: ntpd problems

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Justin Johnson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After a new install, my computer fails to sync to the ntpd server
> (time.nist.gov).  After booting up, if I configure it via gnome, it syncs
> fine and corrects my time, but after rebooting it errors upon sync again.
> Has anyone else had this problem?  One thing I noticed is that it appears
> to change the server from time.nist.gov to my own IP when I reboot.  Not
> sure why it is doing that.

One thing to check is how far off your system time pre-sync is from the
current real time.  If it's more than a couple of hours ntpd will assume
something has gone wrong with the network time and refuse to sync your
system, exiting instead.  To set your hardware clock after you've
synchronized on network time do:

/sbin/hwclock --systohc

Also note that the ntp people prefer you to use a stratum-2 or stratum-3
server, not a stratum-1 server like time.nist.gov.  The load on stratum-1
is already extraordinarily high keeping the other strata in sync, so the
added load of workstations that could use a lower stratum should be
avoided.  Pick 5 - 10 servers from this list:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2.html

and put them in your ntp.conf file.  Ntpd will handle finding the best
timesource to synchronize against, and you'll minimize the load on the
core of the NTP network.

--
Michael D. Jurney
mike@jurney.org