Sony AIT tape drive (IDE) causing kernel panic

Hi,

I'm having some problems with an IDE tape drive, it is a Sony SDX-420C.  I
seem to be able to tar data to the tape device without any problems, but
when I go to test or restore the archive on the tape everything dies
horribly.  Testing the archive with the following commands immediately after
finishing the backup causes a kernel panic.

mt rewind
tar tvf /dev/tape

The tape seems to have the tar file on there as it displays the right
contents on the screen before printing a whole lot of rubbish up and ending
with the kernel panic.  /dev/tape is a symbolic link to /dev/nht0, all the
mt commands appear to work okay.

Now if I try and restore from the tape, tar returns with an error (don't
have the error at the moment as I have to re-install the machine) after
this, pretty much any commands that I run print an error to do with LVM.  I
was restoring the data to /tmp, after the restore /tmp is no longer
accessible and returns LVM errors.  When I shutdown the system halts while
trying to turn off the various daemons that are running.  When I reboot I
get a kernel panic when the system tries to mount the root file system.
Basically, the filesystem is trashed beyond hope of recovery.  Booting
'linux rescue' from the install disk gets mixed responses, with the first
install I did the rescue disk could mount the volumes but 'ls -l' showed
that a few of the directories (/boot, /bin, /sbin) were corrupted, after
re-installing... trying the backup again... trashing the disk again...
'linux rescue' can't even find a linux partition.

Justin.