Re: Unable to boot - Stuck at "GRUB"

On Sunday 05 January 2003 12:39 pm, Brian Curtis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just encountered a strange problem with my recently upgraded
> Psyche box.
>
> After a system restart to account for a new IDE HDD, the system
> starts to boot then hangs at "GRUB" while emitting either a
> continuous-tone beep or fast repeating beeps.
>
> The system files all reside on SCSI disks, and has been working just
> fine up until now.  It does not make a difference if I remove the
> new IDE HDD.
>
> I can use Psyche install CD 1 to get into a rescue shell.  Once
> there, everything looks just peachy and seems accessible.  I've
> chrooted to /mnt/sysimage and was able browse around, bring up eth0
> and SSH, then connect from another machine on the network.  I also
> ran e2fsck on all partitions, and came up with "clean" results.
>
> If it matters, my / partition (which includes /root and /boot) is a
> Linux SW RAID1 mirror across 2 disks.  DMESG output does not contain
> any errors, and all md's are reported and loaded without incident.
> The new IDE HDD is also detected.
>
> My question is, where should I start to search for the could-be
> problem and correct my current situation?
>
> Thanks.
I have a dual RAID 1 setup too.  When you installed the new HD did you
put it between the two RAID drives?  You have to install a new drive
behind existing drives or your mdtab and fstab file won't match the
physical drives.

In my system, /dev/hda1 = boot, /dev/hda2=swap.
/dev/hda3 and /dev/hdc3 = /dev/md0=/

/dev/hdc1=/altboot (bootable) and /dev/hdc2= swap.  In otherwords, my
two RAID disks have identical partition schemes and sizes.

In my configuration, I can install a new HD as /dev/hdb or /dev/hdd
since neither affects the original fstab or mdtab.  If you did, you can
edit fstab and mdtab to match your new drive configuration.

Mike W
--
Registered Linux - 256979
NRA Life