Re: DNS questions

Tom Diehl wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Randy Kelsoe wrote:
  Recipient address: me@newdomain.com
  Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
  Diagnostic code: smtp;550 5.7.1 <me@newdomain.com>... Relaying denied
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is NOT a dns problem. You are trying to relay which is denied. You have
a misconfiguration in your sendmail configuration.
I think this message is misleading. I am able to send mail from any of the clients on the private network, using my mailserver as the smtp server. I can send mail outbound without an error. I only get this "Relaying denied" on messages that are inbound. I am not a sendmail guru, but I am not new to sendmail, either. If you think I have a config problem with sendmail, can you please give me a hint as to where to look?

One suggestion since you are new at this I would suggest switching to postfix.
The reason I am suggesting this is that it's configuration files are a lot easier to understand. There is a version included with psyche so switching
is easy.
I did give postfix a try once, but IIRC, it does not send mail to root by default, and I did not take the time to figure out how to get it to send mail to root.

I am new to setting up DNS, so my questions are:

1. Does the ISP need to setup reverse DNS and make an address entry for nameserver1.newdomain.com.?

No, but you do need the reverse dns to resolve to something reasonable. A lot of people (including myself) reject mail that comes from an ip that
you cannot do a reverse lookup. My ip address does not reverse resolve
to rogueind.com but it does resolve and as such I can send and receive mail just
fine.
If I try to connect to openprojects.irc.net from a machine on this net,(using xchat) it gives me a message that my forward and reverse DNS entries do not match, and it does not allow me to connect.

Or, should I setup DNS locally to do this?

2. If I setup DNS locally, how can I get incoming DNS queries to use my DNS?

You can but it will not fix your problem.
Why, do you think this would help?

I don't think DNS is setup completely for this domain. I had to call the ISP to get them to add an MX record. With dig, I can see an entry for a nameserver for my domain, but if I do a dig on that nameserver, it does not resolve.