Re: Problems with background jobs with linux

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 10:56, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Jan 2003, 16:49:12 +0100, Margaret_Doll wrote:
> > On a system running 2.4.18-18.8.0 RH
> >
> > 	A job started in the background dies when I log out.    I want users
> > to be able to dial into the system, start long jobs (jobs taking
> > several days to complete), and then be able to log out while the job
> > continues to run.
> >
> > On a system running 2.4.18-17.8.0,
> >
> > 	If a user starts and job in the background and then logs out,  no
> > 	one else can log into the system on the console until the job is complete.
> >
> > 	Is there a fix for these problems?
>
> man nohup

Another option besides nohup is to use the screen program.  I'm not sure
if it is installed by default, but it is on CD2 of Red Hat 8.0.  Screen
lets you detach a running session from the terminal and reattach later,
perhaps from a different terminal.

This not only lets you run jobs while detached (logged out), but you
could, for example, start a background job at work, detach, go home and
ssh into your work server, reattach your session and see the results of
your job.

Screen does lots of other nice things too.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+