Problems with background jobs with linux

On a system running 2.4.18-18.8.0 RH

A job started in the background dies when I log out. I want users to be able to dial into the system, start long jobs (jobs taking several days to complete), and then be able to log out while the job continues to run.

On a system running 2.4.18-17.8.0,

If a user starts and job in the background and then logs out, no one else can log into the system on the console until the job is complete.

Is there a fix for these problems?