Re: man pages have funny characters

"Steven W. Orr" wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
>
> =>On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 07:34:37AM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> =>> A much better solution is to simply tell your terminal emulator to use
> =>> the UTF-8 character set.
> =>>
> =>> Kevin~ what terminal are you using?
> =>
> =>For the record, I'm seeing the same problem. I'm running gnome-terminal
> =>on Solaris ("fixed" font, if it matters), displaying back to a Windows X
> =>server (Exceed 7.x). From gnome-terminal, I'm ssh'ing over to a couple of
> =>psyche boxes at home. So far, man is the only misbehaving command, but
> =>I have to admit I don't use a lot of programs that monkey with curses.
> =>
> =>The LANG=en_US setting seems to have done the trick, but I'd rather be
> =>fixing this "correctly". ;-)
>
> The correct solution is to set LANG in /etc/sysconfig/i18n I just set LANG
> to C to get what I've always had.

Seems I also had to also set GDM_LANG in /etc/sysconfig/i18n!  This was
due to the fact that /etc/profile.d/lang.sh sets LANG to en_US.UTF-8 if
GDM_LANG is not set.

Anyone know what the %$#% GDM_LANG is?

BTW, the Redhat language configuration utility writes
/etc/sysconfig/i18n.  If in that you choose "English, American" you get
the en_US.UTF-8 setting.

Anyone know where the Redhat language configuration utility gets its
list of languages and their settings from?

--