RE: man pages have funny characters

You need to set you LANG environment variable to en_US.
export LANG=en_US will do it.
You can add this into your .bash_profile if you are running bash.
You can also modify /etc/sysconfig/i18n and change the LANG line there to
equal en_US.  This file is sourced by /etc/profile and will set it system
wide.

This is due to some older software (I assume you are running a terminal
emulator) not recognizing en_US.UTF-8.

JMF