Re: Can't Access Mozilla - Need Bookmarks <offline>

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 10:43, Mike-Penny wrote:
> Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 5:37 PM
> Subject: Can't Access Mozilla - Need Bookmarks
> > Beonex 0.8.1 under RedHat 8 seems to prevent Mozilla from loading.
> > I need access to my Bookmarks under Mozilla.
> > I have searched the Archives and posted a Bugzilla report.
>
> David,
>     I'm confused by what you are asking. I can see that having Beonex
> might prevent loading Mozilla (they aren't really entirely different)
> but fail to see why that would prevent you from getting access to the
> bookmarks. The bookmarks are application data, not part of the
> application itself. What you need to discover is what Mozilla called
> it's bookmark file, what Beonex calls it, then.......
>
> a) Look at them. I believe you find they have identical formats (again
> Beonex isn't really a different application)
> b) You didn't say exactly what you were trying to do. You are newly
> using Beonex (instead of Mozilla) and want to "import" your Mozilla
> bookmarks, copy the file. If you are trying to "merge" the bookmark
> files, well that may prove more interesting. I'd suggest first creating
> a new file and then using a text editor combining as you see fit. You
> can then temporarily do some renames so that this new file will be used
> and experiment around till you get it right.
>
>     I'd tell you the file name, at least for the Beonex, but
> unfortuantely I don't have it up under a Linux yet* and the names used
> by a M$Windows installation are possibly very different (though not
> necessarily so).
>
> Michael

This begins to sound just a little like the virus-like "features" of M$
products.  Load one app and the other becomes unusable and/or
inaccessible.

If Beonex is going to trash access to Mozilla it must do the following:

1.  Warn the user prior to loading (and provide an option/procedure to
keep Mozilla accessible).

2.  Provide a way to import all Mozilla settings, address books,
bookmarks, etc. as selectively desired by the user.

3.  When a user posts a Bugzilla report -- rather than blow them off
provide the precise process to fix the problem caused by the product --
including the location of the critical files, rather than to leave them
to guess and unnecessarily waste their time cleaning up the mess.

Beonex has an additional bug -- when one runs the Java add-on as a user
(on 56k dial-up it is a laborious process) it waits until the end and
then gives an "access denied" error and fails.  (I am guessing that Root
is required -- Beonex provides no obvious guidance.)

4.  Beonex must flag any special requirements like this -- if the user
is required to be Root then Beonex needs to state that before permitting
the Java download process to begin.

This is all so basic in the development of an app that it is frustrating
to even have to type the words.  Sigh.

Thanks for your assistance and encouragement Michael!

doc