Re: Firewire Drives during install and boot

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Scott Pumer wrote:

> To boot off this drive as an additional mount point you simply add the
> following to the end of the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
>     /sbin/insmod ieee1394
>     /sbin/insmod ohci1394
>     /sbin/insmod raw1394
>     /usr/local/bin/rescan-scsi-bus.sh
>     mount /dev/sda5 /data   (you can mount where ever you need to mount)
>
> I still don't know of a way to get a firewire drive to be a system mount
> point such as "/" or "/usr" because putting the mount point on the
> firewire drive will boot you into maintanence mode with an error trying
> to mount the drive..

I believe, it's because of the same issue I haven't fixed yet with getting
the system to mount LVM based file systems on boot.  The kernel needs to
know about the type of support required and have it loaded into memory
prior to the filesystem being mounted.  Classic RedHat does this via the
initrd image.  With the above info, I would make this work within the
framework of /etc/modules.conf.  Get the modules.conf syntax correct and
then use mkinitrd to create the initrd.xxx.xxx.img in /boot/.