Re: /usr at 100%

Craig White wrote:
> my /usr partition is almost completely filled up and it's bothering
> me.

There's no "almost" there :)
Welcome to the club - I've just completed a nightmare upgrade from 6.2 to 8.0 where /usr and / both ran out of space leaving RPM's database incomplete and inconsistant, and packages half installed. RedHat developers - please PLEASE work on the upgrade scripts. They stink :)

> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda9              4569824   1032864   3304824  24% /
> /dev/hda1               132207     25532     99849  21% /boot
> /dev/hda6             10325748   8586104   1215124  88% /home
> /dev/hda7              3099260   3090492         0 100% /usr
> /dev/hda5             10325748    900456   8900772  10% /var

Problem is, it's out of space already. I would free up some space manually - I suggest removing /usr/share/doc/??? of your picking - they can always be reinstalled later.

Your distribution of partitions doesn't look like you have much more space to really be of use. You might take some of /var, but that will leave less space for email, logs and other data your system might be using depending on what services you have running. A more direct approach is to get a new harddrive.

To move a given partition, create and mount the new empty partition. Turn your system in to "single", and copy using "cp -av /oldmount /mnt/newpartition" - sit back and wait. Verify that the new partition got all the data, and then change /etc/fstab to mount the new partition instead of the old. HINT - save the old fstab if you're not sure of what you're doing. Worst case, boot on the RH8 boot cd in recovery mode, do a chroot /mnt/sysimage and copy the old /etc/fstab back.

Your initial problem without using a new harddrive will be resizing the existing partitons. Using parted that is possible - but I wouldn't really go there without a full backup of everything. Playing with partitions is not easy. What's on /dev/hda8? It seems to be missing - anyway, without a fdisk -l /dev/hda it's a little hard to say how difficault moving partitions around will be. They basicly have to be bordering to eachother in order for removing space from one being a benefit to another partition. In severe cases, a full backup - full repartition - and then restoring is much easier than anything else.

Another way of getting space is to DEINSTALL some software :)
Take a peek at the rpm -qa list. You probably have lots of packages that are no longer needed from older installations. Start removing what you don't need. Windows-managers that you never user are good candidates, fonts and old (no longer working) utilities. I ran this little script (it takes a while):

for a in `rpm -qa`
do
   echo ====== $a >> /tmp/rpmverify
   rpm --verify $a >> /tmp/rpmverify
done

Look for errors and missing files - I had a bungle .... I used the list to indentify packages that needed to be reinstalled and packages that could be removed. Any package with library errors can be removed immediately. Packages using /usr/doc are way old too - I took those out of commision too.

Look at the packages that takes up lots of space. Do you really need 2 or 3 different browsers? Are you using both koffice and open-office?  Are you using perl and most of the other programming utils you might have installed?  Removing apache will help too - all huge packages.

Regards
 Peter Larsen