Re: man pages have funny characters

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 08:29, Edward S. Marshall wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 07:34:37AM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > A much better solution is to simply tell your terminal emulator to use
> > the UTF-8 character set.
> >
> > Kevin~ what terminal are you using?
>
> For the record, I'm seeing the same problem. I'm running gnome-terminal
> on Solaris ("fixed" font, if it matters), displaying back to a Windows X
> server (Exceed 7.x).

The fix depends on what version of gnome-terminal you have.  If you have
an older libzvt based gnome-terminal, it may not support UTF-8 at all.
Your best option is to use a different terminal; perhaps set up a psyche
box locally and connect Exceed to that rather than to your Sun box.

If you have a gnome-terminal based on the i18n branch of libzvt or based
on libvte (as may be for GNOME 2), then you should be able to start the
terminal with the LANG variable defined properly for the remote system:

# env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 gnome-terminal

Make an alias for it if that suits you.