Re: Promise controller slow

Yes, welcome to the old generation of PC.

Thanks you for your year-end notification and I just look into the bios
and mine is set to AUTO.

The only sad thing about this is I don't feel sufficient anymore about the
cpu speed. I bought this a couple year ago with duron 600 and now I have
it with 512 SDRAM. Kinda slow machine as I play WarCraft III (In case you
don't know, This this the best game I ever had or human ever made ;-)).
Next year, but I'm not sure, I plan to upgrade the CPU but I think It only
able to be upgraded to 1 G AMD ;-( Well, Time to open the
www.tomshardware.com again for shopping guide

Anyway, Thx a lot for giving a little hope that I can speed my PC

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Vik Heyndrickx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After I changed the following setting in the BIOS
> 	"Load Onboard ATA BIOS" from "Disabled" to "Auto",
> the performance of my harddisk attached to the Promise controller improved
> by a dazzling 140% (as measured by hdparm -t). And it was very well
> noticible without the use of hdparm. Unfortunately booting takes a little
> longer, because the BIOS needs some time to detect and initialize the other
> harddisks, but pays off.
>
> The result from hdparm -t /dev/hde ("Load Onboard ATA BIOS: Disabled"):
>   Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.35 seconds = 19.11 MB/sec
> The result from hdparm -t /dev/hde ("Load Onboard ATA BIOS: Auto"):
>   Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  3.35 seconds = 46.31 MB/sec

thx
.dave

Another day, another dollar.
		-- Vincent J. Fuller, defense lawyer for John Hinckley,
		   upon Hinckley's acquittal for shooting President Ronald
		   Reagan.