Re: Dual NIC Cards

> > Basic setup is done in /etc/modules.conf - load the nic drivers and
setup an
> > alias for each eth. This is an example of one of my boxes
> > (/etc/modules.conf):
> >
> >    alias eth0 tulip
> >    alias eth1 via-rhine
> >
> > Then, it's a matter of setting the ifcfg-eth? to auto-load and determine
IP
> > configuration etc. just like if you had only one nic. If you're setting
up a
> > gateway you'll need to configure at least a ip_forward = 1 and determine
> > route between the nic's.
> >
> Thanks, did as you said but it didn't work. :-(
> Following is more accurate info. Eventual idea is Home LAN, 2 machines,
> both linux, this machine is hooked to DSL (perm. IP),
> eth0, and other machine hooks to this via eth1.

Basicly that's what I've been doing for about 5 years. I've used my Linux
box to route all network traffic to the internet, using different ISPs and
technology. Right now it's a cable-modem, but to Linux it really doesn't
matter.

> At boot everything works:

Hmmm - why do you boot without eth1 ?

> But if i activate eth1, now eth0 looses capabilities.
Sounds very much like a route problem. What does your route look like before
you run 'ifup eth1' - and how does it look after ??
>From your qoute eth0 still remains configured - so it doesn't look like a
driver problem. Also, do a lsmod and make sure that both NICs drivers are
active.

> I know nothing about networking and am starting to think i should post
> there, but i really have found you bunch of guys to be so helpful w/ my
> problems, i wanted to try here first.

Well, first of all, I would activate both interfaces by default. Then I
would check the ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 for route-setup. You should use
GATEWAYDEV=eth1 if eth0 is your DSL.

Remember - this will NOT by itself enable routing from your home LAN to the
internet. You'll still need to setup a NAT and enable ip_forward. Most basic
HOWTO's explain how to do this.

Regards
  Peter Larsen