RE: RH8 Mozilla -- Printing in Landscape? (Gerry Doris)

On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 18:23, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> > Message: 4 Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:49:56 -0500 (EST)
>  >From: Gerry Doris <gerry@dorfam.ca>
>  >To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>  >Subject: RE: RH8 Mozilla -- Printing in Landscape?
>  > On 27 Dec 2002, Keith Winston wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Well, I have a native postscript printer, an older IBM 4019 PS39 laser.
> > It won't print at all using Mozilla including the most recent release
> > 1.3x.
> >
> > If you check the Mozilla buglist you'll see a large number of postcript
> > printing problems.  Mozilla's postscript module stinks.  I believe my
> > problem is that it only prints in postscript 3 and my printer is too old
> > to support that version.
> >
> > The recommended fix is to install xprint but I haven't figgered out how to
> > get that configured yet.
> >
> > -- Gerry
>
> Gerry:  Thank you for all of the above!  Now, I know it isn't as simple
> as getting a Postcript printer, so I will investigate very carefully,
> before purchasing another Laser printer, since our HP 6L works great in
> Windows and Fair in Linux.
>
> Lanny in Colombia

If you have a relatively new and popular printer (not some odd ball
thingy) you shouldn't have any big problems getting printing to work in
linux.  One thing that I have found is that there are often a choice of
drivers available.  Try each one until you get the results you want.

As well as the old IBM laser I also have an HP 812c colour printer.
Redhat's printer configurator provides a choice of four drivers.  Only
one works properly.  Mozilla, Evolution, etc all work just fine with the
HP.

Double check that you've tried each of the drivers available for the HP
6L. I just checked and RH 8 supports two versions of the HP 6L (looks
like standard and gold (?)).  The standard has 3 drivers available and
the gold has an additional one.

--
Gerry Doris <gerry@dorfam.ca>