Re: Psyche-list digest, Vol 1 #738 - 12 msgs

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 04:32:07PM -0500, Donald G Wilson Jr wrote:
> I can not believe some of the suggestions that redhat is incompetent
> because they did not provide a shortcut to this or that program on your
> desktop....

That's funny, I don't remember anyone making any such suggestions...

> And then to suggest they should offer different distros w/ diff
> shortcuts for diff programs. this is the distro w/ a shortcut to gimp..
> this distro has a shortcut to xview.. this distro.. i think you see my
> point.

Well, I think it wouldn't be worth their time to implement such a
thing, but I do understand where the poster of that idea was going...
Much like they have an install option for servers or desktops, they
could have one for newbies or advanced users.

> anyways, to answer what i understand to be the original question:
>
> Right click your desktop
> Left click "New Launcher"

This actually does not answer the question, though it probably solves
the OP's problem.  The original question was (essentially) what
happened to the task manager's ability to kill the applications in the
task bar.  This used to be functionality built into GNOME's task
manager applet.  Evidently, it's not there anymore.

> PS - RedHat is doing many things right,

No doubt about it, RH 8 is probably the best release of Red Hat to
date.  It has a lot going for it, and I think it may well be the best
distribution available at the moment.

> i do not know why some people insist on bashing them.  one person
> wants this, another that.  Isn't that why half of us run this OS?

I don't think anyone is bashing Red Hat.  I (and others) voice my
(our) opinion(s) about what could be done better, and why... that hardly
constitutes bashing Red Hat.  I like Red Hat, and I like Red Hat 8.  I
just happen to think they blew it in this particular case.  If no one
provided product feedback, there's little chance the product would
improve...

> No matter what they choose to do, some will get something they wanted,
> some will loose something they wanted.

Not necessarily.  Sawfish has (or at least had) the ability to provide
very simplistic configuration options to the user, while at the same
time offering substantial flexibility for advanced users.  This
approach is often suggested by people who aren't satisfied with
Metacity.  Havoc Pennington (as I understand it, author of Metacity
and Red Hat employee) and other GNOME developers usually make the
argument that this increases code complexity and makes the code harder
to manage.  This may well be the case, but this argument has nothing
to do with usability.  It has to do with writing solid, modular code.

- --
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/
GPG Key ID: 0xDFBEAD02