Re: HTTP, FTP, and SSH services (connection refused errors)

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 01:46, Jack Bowling wrote: [with lots of snips!]
> ** Reply to message from Keith Winston <kwinston@twmi.rr.com> on Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:39:08 -0500
> > On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 10:30, Patrick, Mark S., , CPMS wrote:
> > > Any idea why I cant connect to HTTP, FTP, or SSH remotely on my Redhat 8.0
> > > machine?  I have the firewall disabled for the time being, rebooted and
> > >
> > Are you sure you not being firewalled somewhere else along the path from
> > your remote machine to your Red Hat 8 box?  Try running nmap against
> > your Red Hat box from a remote machine that is having trouble to see
> > what ports are being allowed through.
> >
> > Also, does your Red Hat 8.0 box have the correct default gateway so it
> > can talk back to remote machines?
>
> Also check that your /etc/hosts.deny doesn't have ALL: ALL. If it does, nothing will get in.
Also also check config files:
/etc/xinetd.d/<your ftpd>
should have a line `only_from`.  eg
   only_from      = 172.16.0.0
   only_from      += 127.0.0.1

/etc/ssh/ssh_config
should have a line `Host`.  eg
   Host *

and finally
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf (if apache is your httpd and this is the conf
file loacation)
should have a line `Listen`. eg
Listen *:80
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
People don't change; they only become more so.