Re: Mozilla in psyche is excruciatingly slow

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:06:40 -0800, Kevin McConnell wrote:

> --- efcarey <efcarey@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> Pete Peterson wrote:
>> > Mozilla runs painfully slowly on my RH 8.0
>> machine.  Clicking on a link
>> > takes 30-40 seconds to bring up the new page.
>> During this time, "top"
>> > shows mozilla using 96% CPU time.
>>
>> Have you checked to see if you don't have multiple
>> instances of mozilla
>> runing? IE. ps aux|less
>
> Or that your networking configuration is working
> properly? I have a pentium 200 and mine works just
> fine... links only take a few seconds to load, if
> that.
> Although I can't say that the 96% cpu time happens to
> me often. Perhaps when I just first fire it up it may
> use that much cpu time for a couple of seconds.

Thanks for the suggestions...

I don't THINK there's a networking problem; everything else
seems normal and it's hard to imagine why a networking
problem would affect mozilla and not konqueror or galeon.

I did have multiple instances of mozilla, but they were using
different profiles, so they weren't sharing cache/configuration
directories. One of them was running through an ssh session from
home.  That session got disconnected overnight and now this
morning I can't reproduce the problem, even when I run another
instance of mozilla through a remote ssh connection (from the
Sparc/Solaris machine in my office). At the moment, mozilla
is noticeably slower than galeon or konqueror, but not
painfully slow.  I'll check further when the problem recurs.

	pete