Re: best combo for adding external keyboard/mouse to laptop?

I use a cordless i-touch that I'm really fond of (great range, reliable, doesn't eat batteries too often, doen't interfere with its twin 4 feet away), it's ps2.

My cordless trackman has a usb connector and often 'looses touch' with the system on boot up if it's plugged in to usb. Now that it's plugged in to ps2 (with an adapter) I haven't had any trouble at all with it. This may be specific to my setup, so consider this anecdotal advice.
I might be tempted to go with usb keyboard / mouse and use an adapter if you have to. My wifes new laptop doesn't have any ps2 ports and by the time your keyboard dies, maybe everyone else will follow suit.

Ben

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

given that the built-in keyboard on my dell inspiron is
starting to act flaky (missing occasional keystrokes), but
i don't have the time to send it in for service right now,
i'm looking at the possibilities for adding both an external
keyboard and mouse.

given one combo keyboard-or-mouse PS/2 port and two USB ports, the possibilities are:

1) PS/2 mouse and USB keyboard

2) PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse

3) both USB, but with an additional USB hub since i already
use one of the USB ports for my shapr zaurus

is there any combo that is either clearly the best, or clearly insane? thanks.

rday

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses]