Re: OT Social engineering attempt?

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 11:50:07AM -0800, Oisin C. Feeley wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2002, Dan Clowater wrote:
>
> >Well I hate to be brash - but that's a stupid question. You definitely
> >should report crap like this!
> >
> >You should report it to yahoo - they will likely want to stop someone
> >stealing information pretending to be them.
>
> Done that already.  The report is sitting in their queue and they've
> only responded with a generic "we are dealing with your problem"
> autoresponse.

Well, that's typical of a high volume account as support@yahoo.com
probably is. Resend it to abuse@yahoo.com, since this is definitely in
that department.

> >If that fails - contact the domain sysadministrator - it might be a
> >hacked system and the owner does not know about it.
> >
> That specifically is what I'm asking about the advisability of doing.
> If it's a hacked machine, then yes, it'd be good to let the admin know.
> On the other hand if the admin of that machine is the clever spoofer
> then I'd like someone else to be able to get hold of him before he
> covers his tracks.

Not much tracks to cover. I checked the HTML in tha message you got, and
I found that it is designed to send the info (your yahoo account and
password) to www.radiomhz.net who are collecting it for unknown (i.e.:
not good) reasons.

I take it radiomhz.net are the culprits here, so algx.net should also be
notified, since that is the first mail relay in the chain, either an
open relay (a bad thing) or the legitimate ISP of the sender.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling                        Av. Kennedy 5757, of. 1502
Ingeniero de Sistemas                  Las Condes, Santiago, Chile