Re: Psyche is not rapid, why???

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:33:49PM -0500, Justin Zygmont wrote:

> > Windows preloads stuff to make it seem that the Microsoft apps launch
> > faster (IE, Word, Excel etc.)
>
> this might explain why netscape would load a bit faster in win98 for me
> also.

No. It explains why Word in Win98 launches faster than OpenOffice.org
Writer in Linux.

The netscape effect comes from the fact that the Windows executable is
dinamically linked against windows DLLs, while the linux executable is
statically linked to aid portability across distros.

Now, there are apps which get you the same effect in linux. You just
have to consider if you really want to lose all that RAM while NOT using
the app. I know that it might go to swap space, but then there is no
gain with respect to not running (and probably some problems with memory
manager overhead).

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling                        Av. Kennedy 5757, of. 1502
Ingeniero de Sistemas                  Las Condes, Santiago, Chile