Unable to run X after 7.3->8.0 upgrade

When I run `startx', the virtual console goes black, a cursor appears
and I get a bash prompt again. X has written some (~20 lines) of version
information then

   Preloading /usr/lib/libgdkxft.so.0

   waiting for X server to shut down

   $

There are no errors in /var/log/XFree86.0.log, i.e. no lines beginning
with "(EE)".

My installation did not go well. I installed the first two CDs and while
the upgrade was in progress, I left for several hours. When I came back,
the upgrade process had a dialog asking for the third CD. I inserted it,
but the was no response from either the keyboard or the mouse, so I
couldn't press the OK button. I couldn't access any other virtual
consoles, so the only thing left was to reboot.

I restarted the upgrade, but it hung (probably because the rpm database
was hosed.) I could reboot with an old kernel ... eventually. I then
(with a lot of difficulty) ran `up2date -u' so that everything was
updated.

And now, I can't get X to run. I've run `redhat-config-xfree86
--reconfig' and that hasn't helped.

All CDs passed the verification and the checksums matched.

What now?

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                    http://www.leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014