Do I have a proxy???

Looking up the definition of a "proxy" it seems to be a machine that sits
between my terminal and the Internet.  Very well.  My terminal runs RH8.0,
and I have an XP machine which is on the same LAN.  The XP machine dials the
ISP to access  the Internet, and once it has a connection then I can also
access it from the Linux machine.  It would seem, then, that by definition
the XP machine is a proxy.

But Mozilla edit-->preferences-->advanced-->proxies does not show anything
that indicates that.  It seems to indicate that the Linux machine has a
direct connection to the internet.

So do I have a proxy??  If so, how do I find out what the "port" for it is?

Thanks,
John