Can't Get RH 8.0 to Serve ntp

Hello psyche-list,

I'm having trouble with RH 8.0 that I was not having with 7.2 or 7.3.
But, to be fair, I had not tried to do anything quite this weird.
I cannot seem to get my RH 8.0 clients to get time syncronization
information from my RH 8.0 servers.

The problem may be a simple matter of the fact that my network is
currently not attached to the Internet, so is (technically)
unsynchronized. However, for the time being, I'm willing to live with
the fact that we might not be set to the right time, as long as all
the systems agree on that wrong time. So, I've attempted to set up
everyone to look to my notebook computer (falkor) as the source of
time information for my work network. Since the notebook attaches to
the Internet at home each night, its idea of the correct time is
fairly close. When falkor is booted into Win2K, the other systems can
get the time from it, running NetTime. However, when it is booted into
RH 8.0, they claim to be unable to get the time from it running ntpd.

I have double checked firewall settings and am accepting TCP and UDP
port 123 on all RH 8.0 systems. My dev2 /etc/sysconfig/iptables
contains the following lines. Similar lines appear in the iptables for
the other systems involved.

  -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 123 -j ACCEPT
  -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 123 -j ACCEPT

The attached ntp.conf is from machine "dev2". The config files from
192.168.254.1 and 192.168.254.100 are similar, though .100 (falkor)
has server lines for real Internet time servers for when it is at home
and on the net.

The attached ntpd.1 file is the output generated on dev2 by the
command, "ntpd -d -d -a" while falkor was booted into Win2K and
running NetTime. The attached ntpd.2 file is the same thing while
falkor was booted into RH 8.0 and running ntpd. Note the "packet: bad
header 020" lines. One appears in each file for the 192.168.254.1
exchange, but for 192.168.254.100 (falkor) only when falkor is booted
into RH 8.0 (file ntpd.2).

The attached ntp.ethereal file is the ethereal data file showing the
exchange of ntp packets between dev2 and falkor (from dev2's point of
view) while both were running RH 8.0.

While falkor is at home, I want it to believe the outside servers on
the Internet and set its clock to them. When falkor is at the office,
I want it to believe its own time and I want the other systems to
believe falkor's version of the time. When falkor is not in the
office, I want 192.168.254.1 to be filling in, providing the time to
the rest of the network, while continuing to look for falkor for the
"more better" time. How can I accomplish this? Thanks!

Ron.