Re: Why Telnet? (Was RE: Connection refused - why?)

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Shoemaker, Michael (STL) wrote:

> Out of curiosity, why telnet?
>
> Its seems there is no gain using telnet over ssh.  Why would anyone expose the security risks associated with telnet, even on an isolated network?  I just see no reason to use it and Id like to hear why other do.

It depends on the environment you're dropping this machine into.  If all
of your developers are working on older hardware that doesn't (maybe even
can't without an unreasonable amount of work) support ssh, then telnet
might be your only option.

--
Michael D. Jurney
mike@jurney.org