RH8.0 Updates

I've just installed RH8.0 and did a little Internet work.  I notice that the
right-bottom of the screen has an indicator that my system needs to be
updated.  I assumed that this is somewhat the same as the Windows update
service that my XP system does pretty much automatically, for security
patches and such.  So I told it to sure, update, and after a few gyrations
it looks like there is about 39MB worth of update material!   I don't really
want to try and download that much with a slow modem. What are they
updating?  The RPM's?  The running system?  What?  And does this update
service cease after 30 days (unless I want to pay for it)?  Anyone know?

Thanks,

John