Re: File permissions messing up?

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 14:43, Neil Loffhagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something is going wrong with the file permissions on our RH8 box
> running Samba.  We have set up a share that is being accessed by windows
> 98 clients.  When a client opens a file and changes it, it then becomes
> the owner and the file is then read only for everyone one else and these
> are files that need to be shared.  I used the "chmon g+s directory"
> which I think is supposed to make it so that all files created in the
> directory maintain the same group membership.

These are samba issues. You'll need to modify your smb.conf file to
force file permissions. You can set up directory and create masks in the
[globals] section like so:

directory mode = 0777
create mode = 0666

These will keep files and directories world readable. You may also want
to force the files to belong to any group or user you want with

force group = groupname
force user = username

See http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html#FORCEGROUP for
more info