Re: Telnet with RH8.0

On Thursday 12 December 2002 13:53, John Nall wrote:
> Right now, I have telnet installed.  I can start the daemons.    I have two
> machines on an LAN, both running 8.0, and I can ping from one to the other
> and from the other to the one.  I have my firewall set properly to allow
> them to talk to each other (or at least I think I do).  But when I do a
> "telnet main" it says connection refused.  I can "ping main" and all is
> fine, so I know the Ethernet connection is working.  What am I doing wrong?
> (He asked, in a whining tone.)

A) is there any reason why you are using telnet instead of ssh?

B) can you telnet to yourself from one of the boxen?  From main, can you
telnet main?

C) You opened port 22 TCP on both machines?

D) chkconfig --list shows that telnet service is on?  (yes chkconfig shows
xinetd services).

E) See A)

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
For Web Services and Linux Consulting, Visit --> j2Solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: