Re: modem lights confusion.-now cleared up

Aaron Konstam wrote:

Checking the psyche-list as well as the hints in Tom Georgoulias
message got me going. But I am left with the mystery how anyone would
guess to change the name of tbe lock file and change ifup to
/sbin/ifup, etc? Thanks for the responses.

Not sure about the lock file, but knowing that /dev/modem is usually a symbolic link to /dev/ttyS<n> might help.
Knowing what ifup and ifdown are, and are used for, that they are in /sbin, and /sbin is not in most user's PATH, make using the full path a simple check.

Starting the applet in a terminal, and watching for error messages there, might also help.
strace is also helpfull to see what's going wrong at times.
I used strace to figure out a bug in Mozilla, where a directory tree wasn't being created correctly because users cannot write to /home and /home/<username> is automounted.

-Thomas