Re: upgrading a PowerEdge 2400 to RH 8.0

Eric Wood wrote:

I have a PowerEdge 2400 - PERC2/Si - single RAID channel, Ultra2 SCSI.,
Raid-5 configuration
Currently running: RH 7.0, kernel-2.2.16-22, afaapps-2.1-0

I had a PowerEdge 1650 running 8.0 in a test configuration, striping across the two drives. 8.0 seemed fine with one exception: VMWare virtual machines. It worked well enough to get 3 virtual machines built, and talking with each other, doing the strange things that Win2K servers do (AD, Exchange, DDNS, DHCP, etc). After an indeterminate period the machine would lock up hard. Power cycle seemed to be required, as the machine was completely non-responsive. I tried a variety of disk IO torture tests with no VMWare involvement, but was unable to cause the same lockup. The same VMWare setup worked when the host OS was win2k.

My completely unproven suspicions point at the gigabit ethernet as the likely suspect, being a place where VMWare network drivers must interact with hardware that is relatively new to market.

Alan
--
Alan Peery