Re: Upgrade XFree

On 9 Dec 2002, J Kevin Martineau wrote:

>Date: 09 Dec 2002 23:15:31 -0500
>From: J Kevin Martineau <kevinmartineau@senets.com>
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Upgrade XFree
>
>On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 17:25, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>
>> The kernel does.
>>

>> --
>> Mike A. Harris     ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
>> OS Systems Engineer - XFree86 maintainer - Red Hat
>
>I'm currently using 2.4.18-18.8.0. Is the
>XFree86-4.2.99.2-0.20021122.2.i386.rpm compiled against the 2.4.19-0
>kernel that is in Rawhide?

Sorry, to be more precice...

The Red Hat kernel packages are what provides the "kernel-drm"
component.  It provides a specific DRM version to match a
specific XFree86 release, as well as prior XFree86 releases that
are known to work with it as well.

Each and every new XFree86 release that comes out, also comes
with new kernel DRM source code.  The new XFree86 specifically
requires that the latest DRM modules be used, however Linus'
kernels never have updated DRM modules that match the latest
XFree86 release, so a stock Linus kernel is not sufficient.
Users must either compile DRM kernel modules from XFree86 source
code themselves, or they must use a kernel which supplies the
needed DRM modules.

As such, once the new DRM code gets put into a Red Hat rawhide
kernel, that kernel now advertises support for the new DRM
version via "Provides: kernel-drm = 4.2.99.2", or whatever
version is being added at the time.  Once this new Red Hat kernel
is in rawhide for testing, then XFree86 packaging is updated with
a "Requires: kernel-drm = 4.2.99.2", as well. This ensures that
when someone installs the new X, that they are only able to do so
if they have also installed the Red Hat kernel that provides the
required kernel DRM component that X needs in order to function
correctly.

If someone does not use DRI or need it at all, or purposefully
wants to disable it, then one can disable DRI in their X config
file, and upgrade to CVS X by using --nodeps during upgrade.
Please note that upgrading X in this manner will mean that if
one attempts to use DRI at all, they will get completely
"undefined" and unsupported behaviour, so use at own risk.  Do
not file any XFree86 or kernel related bug reports if you are
using such a configuration.

<PARANOID DISCLAIMER>
Also note that both rawhide CVS XFree86 as well as the rawhide
kernel are not intended for production.  While many people are
using them both successfully, they are both developmental
codebases in a constant state of flux, and should not be used on
important production machines.  Only use rawhide XFree86 and
kernel on machines that complete and total data loss would not be
a problem.
</DISCLAIMER>

That said, many people are using both without major issues.  But
also there are a few people using them and having major issues
too.  ;o)

In summary:  With every single new XFree86 release, the kernel
DRM source code must be updated, and there is therefore a direct
dependancy on the new DRM kernel modules between XFree86 and the
kernel.  This is enforced by an rpm virtual "provides" mechanism,
and users must use a matching XFree86 and kernel combination from
rawhide, or they can override this if desired and they know what
they are doing.  Overriding this however, makes your system
unsupported unless you can reproduce a given problem using the
Red Hat supplied kernel and XFree86.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
TTYL

P.S  This is a _major_ frequently asked question.  Please forward
my email to anyone you know of who is experiencing this problem
and isn't aware of what they need to do.  I'm fairly inundated
with email on this topic, and do not respond to individual emails
on the subject, although I try to respond on mailing lists once
in a while, in hopes that others will carry the message on for
future people experiencing the issue.