Re: hotplug / USB problem

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 07:37, Neil Bird wrote:

>    I mentioned this in passing a couple of days ago, but no-one
> commented.  I've just checked with my new RH8 and it's suffering the
> same problem as I had with 7.3.
>
>    If I plug in & unplug my USB [smart-media] card-reader, a new 'scsi'
> device gets allocated by the kernel every time (I think it's a
> kernel-type issuie & not hotplug itself).
>
>    The first time /var/log/messages says something about making device
> scsi1 and setting up /dev/sda (maybe sda1).  Unplug it, and it says it's
> disconnecting the USB device.
>
>    The scond & subsequent times, I get 'scsi2', 'scsi3', etc., and
> /dev/sdb, sdc, sdd, etc.
>
>    If I plug my actual camera in, it's all fine: I get scsi1/sda every time.
>
>    It tries to run the same usb script eveytime, and does match the USB
> ID correctly, as with the camera, I do a successful 'mount /dev/sda1
> /mnt/camera' [from fstab], but with the card reader I get an error from
> this as, natch, sda1 is only valid the first time.

Early this year, I struggled trying to understand how the USB mass
storage devices work, because some devices get assigned to /dev/sda1 and
some devices get assigned to /dev/sda4, so I spent some time on the
linux USB mailing list and reading SCSI device driver code.

>From what I remember, the USB mass storage code keeps a thread running
for each device even after it is disconnected, so that if it is
reconnected, it is supposed to get assigned to the already allocated
device.

Now, if you attach multiple USB mass storage devices in a different
order after a reboot, you might get different devices IDs.  However, it
seems like your card reader is begin incorrectly recognized as a new
device every time you plug it in, which may be a problem with the way
the card reader was designed or could be a bug in the USB code.  You
might want to post your question on the usb-linux mailing list if you
really want to dig into it.

Best Regards,
Keith
--