Re: Calling all KDE fans!!

Joe Klemmer wrote:

On 28 Nov 2002, Anthony Abby wrote:

Not everyone is a GUI fanatic, but the Unix/Linux community still
overwhelmingly uses KDE according to published reports I've seen.

If you did a search you would find as many "published reports" that declare GNOME as the majority. There is no desktop that is
"overwhelmingly" used in the Linux community. And if you take the other
UNIX flavors into account you'd probably find CDE as the "overwhelming favorite" used.

I'd agree on CDE and it's variants, like HP-UX and it's VUE.
Solaris shipps with it as the default, as does HP-UX. And they have done so for a long time.
Solaris 2.5 and HP-UX-9, I used both 5 years ago. and the newest release still use CDE as the default.
Both are planningh to switch to GNOME, I'm using beta2 for Solaris 8 now, and used GNBOME1.4 betats as well. I've not had any luch building for HP-UX, and all the prebuilt version are for 11+ while I'm stuck at 10.20. I'm not sure what IRIX uses, but it's probably CDE, or closely related and Motif based. Never looke at AIX. What's it used for today?

Solaris is still the main integrated curcuit design platform. Ask the EDA tool vendors how the WinNT ports went, and faired in the market :) HP-UX is used by most of HP/Agilent's production IC test equipment (the $1,000,000+ stuff).

-Thomas