Diskless Root with Psyche and PCMCIA NIC

Hello List,

I am trying to configure a notebook equipped with a PCMCIA network card as a
diskless node in my network.

I got the kernel sources from kernel.org and configured the kernel as
documented in several howtos. (I.e. compiled in PCMCIA and NIC support,
support for nfs root, support for kernel level ip config ...)

After that I made a boot floppy with syslinux and copied over the bzImage to
the floppy. I don't have a DHCP nor a BOOTP or RARP server, so my
syslinux.cfg looks like this:

label linux
  kernel bzImage
  append ip=10.0.0.11:10.0.0.1::255.255.255.0:ws-andreas-nb.local::off
nfsroot=10.0.0.1:/clients/ws-andreas-nb root=/dev/nfs

prompt          1
timeout         100

After that I put in the floppy into the notebook and start it. The kernel is
booting, but when it comes to mounting the root FS it says it cannot connect
to the nfs server.
The trouble is that it is trying to set up the IP-Config, before it activates
the NIC.
So I get the error message, that No networkes devices could be found. After
that it successfully activates the NIC and tries to mount the root FS. This
cannot be done, because IP-Config now has not been done.

It's a little complicated to describe, I hope I have stated clearly what I
mean.

The question now is: Is there a possibility to tell the kernel to activate the
NIC, before doing the IP-Config ?

Thank you very much for your help.

best regards
-Andreas