Re: TT Fonts added to ~/.fonts not available in OO or Gimp

That's becasue, I believe, a standard restart of xfs closes all its open
sockets (which are feeding fonts to th X server) and reopens new ones.
What you should do is just send xfs a SIGUSR1 as root (sudo pkill -USR1
xfs).  This will just make xfs re-read its config file.  Check out the
man page.

HTH,
pete