Re: Very strange hangup (some progress)

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, I wrote:

> I have RH8.0 (with all updates) installed on an Athlon/Asus A7V.  I find
> after some time that I am unable to run the ps command.  Running ps
> freezes the console or terminal it's run on.  Once this has happened, if I
> attempt to shut the machine down, it hangs after stopping the RHN daemon
> and has to be reset.

One thing I can do that reliably causes a problem is 'makewhatis'.  If I
run makewhatis on this machine, it hangs.  After that, attempts to run
'ps' or 'ls /proc/<pid>' on the pid associated with the makewhatis hang as
described.

I've also started to see occasional hangups on boot.  These may happen at
various points in the process.  Still no clue what might be causing it.
Changing BIOS setting from 'optimal' to 'normal' has no effect.

Any clues on what else to look for would be mightily appreciated.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs@clemson.edu